Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Adventures in Reading

Readers may be interested in the following books which have been added to stock at Galway City Library:
Tonguecat, by Peter Verhelst-Farrar, Straus and Giroux
These days, the pursuit of perfection is all around us, a pursuit that is based on the notion that we can alter the world to suit us. But, according to recent theories, this view is untenable and perfect order always ultimately degenerates into chaos. In Tongue Cat, Peter Verhelst uses the various stories to describe how a city falls apart and comes to grief in chaos and violence. In the masterly final chapter, Verhelst lets the story, together with the city, burst apart at the seams. Tonguecat is a visionary novel about our society.

The Center of Everything, by Laura Moriarty - Hyperion Books
Evelyn is 10 when the novel opens, an observer of the silent struggle between Tina, her wayward young mother, and Eileen, her quiet, religious grandmother. Though Evelyn appears to be a mere observer of the tumultuous lives of her friends and family, it is she who will achieve her dreams with quiet determination. Evelyn is an intriguing, thoughtful narrator, and this novel is a truly exceptional coming-of-age story, perfect for readers of all ages. Moriarty deftly treads the line between adolescence and adulthood, and insecurity and self-assurance, offering a moving portrait of life.

My Christina, by Mercé Rodoreda - Graywolf Press
DEAR DOCTOR: Don't be surprised that I describe my condition in writing. Don't be surprised that the name I sign isn't mine. In a way I'm very shy and people frighten me. Maybe if you think about it calmly, you'll figure out who I am, but as for me, if there's no cure for my disease, I'd rather you didn't think about it and didn't figure it out. What’s been happening to me is so pent up inside: I'm turning into such a madwoman that I have to try and explain myself in writing. (Opening lines)

No comments: